Fox Hunt - This Sunday, June 11 starting at 1:30 PM at the 427 Wing
A Fox hunt is the Ham radio equivalent of playing "Hide and go seek". One ham operator, the "Fox", goes to an unknown location within the city limits, and periodically transmits for about a minute. The "Hounds" try to locate the Fox by using directional antennas and compasses to take bearings on the Fox's signal. These are recorded on a map, and bearings are taken from multiple locations to narrow down exactly where the Fox is.
This Sunday, Doug Elliott will be the Fox, and the starting location will be the 427 Wing where our new club station is being installed. Even if you haven't been involved in a hunt before, come on out anyway. We can match you up with a participating team, and you can do as much or as little of the work as you wish. It's also a great chance to check out the Wing if you haven't seen it before, before we hold Field Day there on the weekend of June 24.
If you want to give it a go, here are reminders of stuff you'll need:
- a map of the city of London
- pencils, erasers
- maybe a protractor (although you might be able to just use your compass)
- maybe a parallel ruler
- a charged handheld
- a directional antenna, with adapters for your handheld's antenna connector
(I'll have some extra antennas with BNC connectors.)
- maybe an attenuator to help when you're so close that the signal seems to come from everywhere
Here's the schedule (To be confirmed on Sunday)
- 1:30: meet at the Wing
- 1:30 - 2:30 - Explore the Wing, make up teams, discuss techniques and the schedule
- 2:30: The Fox starts transmitting every 3 minutes for 60 seconds. (A minute on, two minutes off, rinse and repeat)
- 2:30 Teams start taking bearings, and head out in cars to find the wily Fox. Even if one team finds the Fox, transmissions continue until 4:30
- 4:30: We meet at the Timmy's at Oxford and Adelaide to review, ridicule and socialize
If you have any questions, contact Doug Elliott (VA3DAE), 519-630-8925
Field Day, it's coming in June, details here.
Hamfest, it's coming in September, details here.